Saturday 7 April 2018

Some Good News for For a Change

by Simon Smith


No, it’s not that. Not that either. Seriously, do you really think that I would be sitting here writing this nonsense if I could do that? You’re even crazier than everyone says you are. And I mean everyone.

Having ruled out Armageddon (it’s all going to be fine, trust me), each and every one of you receiving a selection of the very best in Spanish cured meats (those guys really know what to do with a pig), and me becoming Wimbledon Women’s Singles Champion for the third year in a row (genetically unsuitable and I just don’t have the backhand), what could it possibly be?
Well it’s better than all three of those put together with extra cheese on top. Allow me to explain. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Some weeks ago, James Beauregard and I were discussing the somewhat depressing situation in academic publishing, specifically from the book-buying/getting readers perspective. As bizarre as it may seem. Dr. B and I are both keen on getting people to read our work. “Why not write something people actually want to read?” you may ask. That, friend, is not an option.
Our rambling ruminations were precipitated by the publication of Giorgio Baruchello’s recent collections, published by Northwest Passage as paperbacks and at a much lower price than is common for academic texts. Giorgio’s books are, in consequence, much more affordable and, one might fairly suppose, much more likely to be bought and read. That, to me, seems like a good thing. Thus, I opined that it might be worth checking out Giorgio’s publisher. In reply, the now legendary Jim suggested that we ought to speak to our current publisher, the truly wonderful Vernon Press, to see whether they would consider putting out a paperback run of a book after they had done what needed to be done with hardbacks.
My response to this was not especially kind. In truth, I scoffed, I sneered, I mocked the very idea. Naïve fellow, said I to myself and also to Jim. Not – as my dear, grey-bearded old grandmother used to say – half as green as he is most certainly cabbage-looking, but more so, and fool to boot. Vernon are going to have to sell an awful lot of copies to make a second, paperback run even remotely worth their while. Academic publishing is in crisis: no one is buying academic texts anymore. And with budgets being squeezed tighter than tight, even university libraries can’t be relied upon to buy a dozen copies these days. There is simply no way that Vernon are going to do a second, paperback run of a book, fine fellows though they most undoubtedly are.
Thus was Jim’s suggestion, utterly and most devastatingly pooh-poohed. Pooh-poohed like a half-naked bear in a dried-apricot eating contest.
Some weeks have passed since this initial conversation and, sad to say, now I am being forced to eat my own scorn, to scoff my scoffing, and munch upon my mean and mocking words. Indeed, if I was American, I would be ordering a big slice of humble pie with an extra serving of apology-flavoured ice-cream and a big sprinkling of contrite-nuts. Actually, if I was American, I would probably have bought a gun and gone on a killing spree while eating real pie with real ice-cream and real nuts. However, as an Englishman born and very ill-bred, I will merely say, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
My sincerest apologies to Jim, for rejecting his suggestion, which, as it turns out, was spot on. This isn’t the first time his perspicacity has been on display. Fortunately, there were no witnesses before and the police can’t touch him for it anyway. Equally, to those truly, fundamentally, deeply, and profoundly incredible people at Vernon Press, my apologies to them, likewise. How could I have ever doubted them? For shame.

And why such entirely uncharacteristic humility? I shall tell you why, dear reader: Vernon Press only emailed to say that my book – my book, Beyond Realism: Seeking the Divine Other – is now available in…

PAPERBACK!

In the words of Paul McCartney, I am a Paperback Writer.

And it gets better. Not only am I a fully qualified Beatles song title, but also the good and decent people of Vernon press have also issued a discount coupon!

That’s right! We may be Beyond Realism, but no one is Beyond a Bargain! See? They care about you too! Vernon cares about all of us!

The PAPERBACK is available from Vernon’s website:


At the checkout, just enter the code

EWTRHLTCRT

For a solid 30% off!

Beyond Realism: Seeking the Divine Other
Now in PAPERBACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment